It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 02:18

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Christ First Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join us for Christian fellowship and friendly discussions.? Looking forward to you joining our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Summer Squash Rellish
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 07:03 

Some years ago a lady gave me this recipe for Summer Squash Relish. I love relish, but I haven't found a really good relish off the grocery shelves. That is, up until I got this recipe and then I haven't needed to buy it anymore. We have everything in our garden except the big onions that are needed. By the time our onions are big enough, summer squash has come and gone! So, the recipe follows and I will be thorough in the instructions because that is how I like my recipes to avoid misunderstanding. :-) My son assisted me last night in preparing a double batch of the relish, but we have the huge pan that holds it all!

SWEET RELISH (Makes approximately 7 pints)
Grind:
1.) 5 lbs. yellow summer squash (light yellow because the skins are tender and can be eaten). Scrape out the seeds from the center of each squash.
2.) 4 large onions (your choice).
3.) 4 large green peppers

Add:
5 Tablespoons pickling/canning salt and mix into all of the above ingredients. Cover with towel or lid and let stand overnight at room temperature.

Next day:
Clean the jars (even if they are new and never used) in dish soap and bleach. I boil the lids at least 4 minutes and have the rings ready to place on the jars.

Rinse thoroughly and drain until the liquid the salt has caused is gone and you're sure there is no salt left. I usually rinse more than once. Squeeze by hand or a dish towel until there is no more liquid at all. Place in the pan you have already filled with the ingredients listed below that have been brought to a rolling boil.

Combine and bring all following ingredients to a boil:
2 jars of pimentos OR 1 large jar
5 cups sugar
3-1/2 cups cider vinegar (I have used white as long as it has around 5% acidity)
2-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1-1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
Place 2 teaspoons of pickling spice in strainer (I use a tea strainer (it has a lid that screws on) and I have also cut a small square of cloth putting the pickling spice in center and tied it with strong thread. Remove the pickling spice container after 5 minutes in boiling vinegar, sugar, etc. just before you add the squash, peppers, and onions.

Return to a boil and seal in pint jars…or 1/2 pint jars (which you will need more than 7!). Once the jars are sealed, do not remove the rings for 24 hours. Then you can write upon the lid once they have cooled.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 5 hours